At the moment I’m meal planning based on what random ingredients are in the back of the fridge or hiding in the depths of the tin cupboard. Seems like a logical idea right, surely nothing can go wrong with an idea like this…hmmm, only time will tell!
The logic behind this is that I keep buying new ingredients instead of using those that I already have – so it makes financial sense and it’s also certainly made meals more interesting recently. So far we’ve ended up with a chicken and leek lasagna, (which was insanely good) and next up we’re having a go at bean burgers. Both of which I’ve been meaning to make for ages but for some reason I’ve found myself ignoring the new recipes in favour of well-known recipes like tuna pasta, salads or chicken and ham pie.
Another recipe that I’ve been reminded of, thanks to this new cupboard clearing mentality, is Betsy’s delicious Banana, Chocolate and Apple Muffins. I first made these near the end of last year and instantly adored them. They’re soft and buttery and chocolatey and fruity too. Just perfect! As soon as I found a half full jar of apple sauce at the back of the fridge I was dead set on making these muffins again. After all they are most definitely a legitimate breakfast food on the weekends – there’s TWO types of fruit in them don’t you know!
8 tbs (1 stick) butter
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 mashed bananas
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chunks
- Throw the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in to your biggest mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl,whisk the softened butter, eggs, bananas and apple sauce together
- Add the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine
- Add the vanilla extract and chocolate chunks and stir
- Fill your cupcake/muffin cases 3/4 full. I made 15 muffins
- Bake on 180 oC for 35 minutes until a skewer or knife comes out clean.
So tell me, have you ever made fruity muffins, what’s your favourite flavour combo?