Now that I’m back at the parentals it means I don’t actually have to think about cooking. If I’m in then my parents are more than happy to include both me in their meal plans. Which is totally great. However it does make me feel incredible guilty and also a little bit lazy. I try to be as helpful as possible by chopping vegetables, setting the table and cleaning up afterwards to stop this but it doesn’t really work. Instead what I try to do now is cook at least one meal a week for everyone, that and trying to do a food shop – but that’s a little bit harder. This way I can feel like I’m at least pulling my weight a little bit. One of the first things I offered to make was homemade pizza. The reason for this was simple:
1. I love making pizza dough – there’s something about the kneading.
2. Neither of the parentals has ever had my homemade pizza. Travesty!
3. The village my parents live in is so completely in the middle of nowhere that the nearest Domino’s or Papa John’s shops refuse to deliver…
4. …And sometimes pizza is a necessity.
So here’s my super simple homemade pizza recipe, which makes four individual pizzas.
For the dough:
500g strong white bread flour
1 sachet of dried yeast
1 tsp salt
360ml tepid water
For the topping:
1. Mix the yeast with the water and add the oil.
2. Put the salt and flour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix together to form a dough.
4. Turn out onto the work surface. The dough can be quite sticky at this point so make sure you sprinkle flour on the surface.
5. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, or until it’s stretchy and smooth.
6. Place into an oiled bowl and cover with cling film and leave to rise for 90 mins in a warm place. We like to leave this in the fridge overnight instead, so we always make it the night before we need it.
7. Once risen divide the dough into four pieces (or into however many pizzas you want to make) and start to flatten out.
8. Place on your baking trays and add your toppings. Start with spreading the passata on the dough. Next top with anything and everything before tearing the cheese into pieces and adding on top.
9. Bake for about 20 minutes at 220C. Although this depends on how crispy you want your base to be.