Does anyone else buy slightly browning bananas just so they can make banana bread the next day? Tell me I’m not the only one, please? Basically banana bread is my favourite thing ever, the perfect mix of healthy as it’s a bread and packed with fruit, but with enough sugar that it feels like a treat! As a big banana bread fan I love trying new versions as much as I like sticking to my good old classic recipe. It’s definitely one of those foods that’s just as good plain as it is with hints of other flavours – like in these apple, chocolate and banana muffins. As you never know when you’ll find a delicious new recipe for banana bread I’m always up for trying new recipes, like the one I found recently for a Banana, Chocolate and Peanut Butter loaf.
On paper (well digital paper) I thought that the recipe sounded amazing – I mean is there three more magnificent flavours than banana, chocolate and peanut butter? Surely combined they’d be insanely good? Well I can tell you guys, there is nothing better. I’ve most definitely found my new go-to recipe! Everyone who has tried it is in awe at its deliciousness and I ate it twice a day for a whole week. It’s just so good! Unsurprising I know, because it’s chocolate AND peanut butter, but still! Oh my goodness it is insane. You HAVE to make it.
You will need the following to make two loaves of bread – because why make one when you can make two?
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (or smooth, but really why would you ever choose smooth)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 very ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
And all you do is:
- Cream the butter, crunchy peanut butter, and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Next add the eggs one at a time, beating them in as you go
- Sift in flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt and stir until all combined, before gently folding in the mashed up bananas
- Gently fold the chocolate chips in (all but 1/4 cup) and pour the batter into the lined bread pans filling about 3/4 full
- Make sure you sprinkle the top of the loaves with the 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes at 180 degrees C or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
So there we go – the most delicious new recipe for banana bread lovers our there. Or even non-banana bread fans as Lau ate loads of this too and she detests bananas. Winning!
Oh and the best way to eat it? Pop a decent sized slice in the microwave for a minute and then add cold custard. It’s the perfect evening treat.
So what’s your go-to banana bread recipe, share it so I can try it next please!