Image Credit: Ryan Pohanic c/o Unsplash
Are you guys watching the latest series of Game of Thrones? I am and I have to say I’m not loving it. Last year I’d watch each episode bang on 9pm on a Monday night. I’d rearrange my night around the show, hell I’d rearrange my week around it. I dreaded missing it as I knew I’d miss out on so much and hear numerous spoilers. And I would be waxing lyrical about how brilliant it was all the bloody time. This year, yeah not so much of that at all. I just don’t seem to be as into it as I was. For example I’m already two episodes behind and yet I’m not rushing to catch up on them. Plus I’ve barely followed any of the goings on on Twitter and don’t seem to be able to get excited about it.
Last week I was nattering to Gwen, of the Foodie Historian Blog, on Twitter and we got to talking about why it’s not so enjoyable this year. There were loads of reasons bandied about between the two of us and they all seem true: the lack of good female characters, how dark everything is, Tyrion not being as cutting as usual, all the good characters being killed off, everything feeling a bit been there done that and let’s tick things off the list. Yet we both agreed that we’d persevere after all the next series might be phenomenal and then what would we do if we’d given up?
So yes, I will continue to give an hour a week to Game of Thrones. It’ll be worth it in the end I’m sure. To round off this blog post I’ve shared my favourite and least favourite things about the current series below – do you agree or disagree?
Things I’m enjoying:
– Jon Snow – his face, his new position of power, his moral dilemmas, his face, the leader he’s become, his face. Oh and I mustn’t forget his face.
– The friendship developing between Brianna and Pod. This whole relationship is brilliant and hilarious in equal measures!
– Tyrion – the best character in the show. He’s always hilarious as a drunkard and I’m intrigued to see what will happen to him now he’s not in King’s Landing.
– Sansa finally acting like something other than a passive and insipid child
– Seeing Cersei getting her comeuppance.
– Bron and Jamie – brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!
Things I’m not enjoying:
– Daenerys – I cannot stand this woman and her dragons
– The lack of action. I swear there’s been all of ten minutes in the entirety of the few episodes I’ve seen
– The randomness of Arya’s journey to a building surrounded by water. Would she really have gotten rid of everything she owns including her sword?
– The disappearance of Bran and his merry band of small people (plus Hodor). Where have they gone?!
– Tyrion not being at court and against his family. The cutting remarks and comments between Tyrion, Cersei and Tywin were some of the best scenes of the last series.